Sunday, June 05, 2005

Hong Kong

Although I didn't see much in Hong Kong beyond the inside of my hotel room and the meeting room, I still had to eat. And eat I did! In a few days I managed to eat good dim sum, Vietnamese, Nepalese, funky modern Sichuan, and Thai. Yum! The one thing I realised is that probably my least favorite food in that part of the world is...Chinese. The thing is, unlike the sanitised Chinese cuisine we're used to back home, in Hong Kong (and presumably the rest of China) they're not wasteful and use as much of the animal as possible. So if you order chicken and are expecting a skinless, boneless chicken breast...HA! Skin, bones, cartilage, you name it, it's there on your plate. I've just realised it's not my thing, and I'll be the first to admit I'm picky as far as that goes.

My last night there I finally managed to get out and took the ferry over to Kowloon. Despite the NASTY humidity (like DC in summer, but doubled), I got a nice view of what has to be one of the most distinctive skylines in the world (yeah, I know the picture is blurry...I was probably sweating all over the lens).