Thursday, June 02, 2005

Happy Birthday, Natalie!

Today is June 2, which means that today is my niece Natalie's birthday. She is now a 9-year old! Natalie and her two brothers live with their Mom (my sister) and Dad just outside of Milwaukee. She is one of the most beautiful little girls I know. She is spunky, curious, loving, generous, and has always had the spirit of a caretaker, even as a little girl. She wears her heart on her sleeve, and isn't afraid to tell you much she loves you. She's also very good at sports, and especially likes to play baseball and soccer. More than anything, she likes to run around (literally) with all the boys in the neighborhood. There's no doubt she'll be a heartbreaker later in life. She asked for an iPod for her birthday, "just like the one Gretchen has", is what she told her parents. Of course she only really listens to two CDs most of the time-- Gwen Stefani and Black-Eyed Peas (two of my favorites as well)-- so who knows why she needs an iPod to store thousands of songs.

My most memorable moment with Natalie came one day back in January 2004. Natalie, her mom (my sister), and I were hanging out with my Mom in her hospital room. It was "just the girls", as Natalie likes to say. My Mom was recovering from major surgery and we had all just learned of her cancer diagnosis. Completely out of the blue, Natalie said "I feel crowded with love!". She was right-- there was a lot of love in the room, but I don't know that I had ever heard it described that way. Leave it to kids to coin these new, and perfect, phrases. Natalie always brings a smile to my face. I miss her a ton and can't wait to see her when I go to Wisconsin later this summer. This picture was taken in a restaurant in the Alsace when Natalie and her family came to visit us around Christmas time. Just for the record, that is coke, not wine in her glass!