Wednesday, June 01, 2005

If dogs could talk

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Swiss love their dogs. This is OK with me, because I love our dog as well. But this afternoon I saw an example of a Swiss woman taking her love for her dog a bit too far. I was riding a tram home after my haircut with Guy and the woman next to me on the tram had her dog sitting at her feet. It was a little Scottie or some other small, yippy type dog. She was talking on her Handy (that's a cell phone for you non-Swiss readers), and next thing I know she's putting her Handy up to her dog's ear-- as if to allow the dog to talk to the person on the other end of the phone. Much to my surprise the dog did start talking (in his or her own way, that is...). I have to admit that I have been known to put the phone to Grady's ear when Kirk is out of town (in fact I did so this evening when Kirk called from Hong Kong), but NEVER in public! Certainly not on a tram with my Handy. Even for me, that is a bit too much. And just for the record, Kirk hates it when I make him talk to Grady on the phone. I wouldn't want people to think he asks me to put the phone to Grady's ear, because he doesn't. It's all me.