Sunday, May 29, 2005

Another pool day

I've now been to the pool 3 days in a row, and I will likely go back again today. That's about the only good thing to do in this weather. Apparently everyone else has the same idea because it was really busy yesterday. Kirk, on the other hand, is not having a pool weekend because he's busy preparing for his upcoming travel, but that's fine because he doesn't love the sun like I do so I don't mind hanging out at the pool by myself. It's a really strange thing to go to a pool where you run into lots of people you know, including several of Kirk's work colleagues. It's making me realize that I actually know quite a few people here in Basel (although we're all in such a small, insular world). It's also totally strange to see all these people you know in their bathing suits. No one recognizes each other at first and you hear people say "Oh, I didn't recognize you without your clothes on!". Here's a true sign that I've been living in Europe for a while now. I no longer react so severely to the sight of speedos. I still try to look the other way as one walks by, but I guess I've gotten somewhat used to seeing men in tiny bathing suits. They're everywhere!

I was quite proud of myself yesterday because I rode my bike to the pool. It was my first bike ride on my new bike, and believe me, there are a lot of hills between here and there! Somehow I made it, despite the heat and a heavy backpack filled with my beach gear on my back. It was a fun way to get there, but I think I'll give my legs a break today and take the car instead.