Friday, August 05, 2005

Ignorance is bliss

Today I got yelled at by a lady and I have no idea why. I was driving through our neighborhood, where the streets are fairly narrow so a lot of time only one car can pass at a time. I came to one such spot as this woman was approaching in the opposite direction. I was clearly there first so I rolled right through, and when I passed her she made a bunch of exasperated hand gestures and appeared to be yelling something at me, with the clear implication that I had just done something wrong. Suffice it to say I didn't roll down my window and ask her to tell me in English. Was she supposed to have the right of way because she was driving west and I was driving east? Because she was older than me? Because her car was bigger? Because we were in Basel-Land and my license plates are from Basel-Stadt? Just when I think I have this driving thing figured out something like this happens, but at least when you don't know why someone is chewing you out it's pretty easy to ignore.