Friday, August 19, 2005

My new treasures

I did it. I unpacked the monster suitcase that I was dreading the most. Thanks to Mrs. TBF, I was reminded that there actually is one good thing about unpacking-- discovering all the new treasures I bought myself while in the US! If there's one thing that I did more than eating while in Wisconsin, it was shopping. I generally hate shopping (for clothes, etc) in Switzerland. I can never find anything I like, or that fits me, or that's reasonably priced, except for sometimes at H & M. I actually own 5 pairs of the same style of capri pants from H & M in 5 different colors because I was so thrilled to find something I liked there.

I remember reading on The Big Finn a couple months ago about how Mrs. TBF bought 6 pairs of shoes on a recent visit back to Chicago. I was very impressed. Well, guess what? I also returned to Switzerland with 6 new pairs of shoes! Perhaps even more exciting is that I bought 7 pairs of pants. I absolutely hate shopping for pants. I have the worst time finding pants to fit me. I'm too short for my size (can you figure that one out?), but I also don't fit into the shorter petite sizes because my frame is definitely not in the petite category. So I was on a mission to find pants on this trip. Good thing I have a friend here in Basel who likes to sew because I need to ask her to hem a couple pairs of them for me!

Other treasures in my monster suitcase (other than clothes and shoes) included a new supply of Crest and Dial soap (two of my favorite American brands that I can't live without), 3 new books for Kirk (he keeps an ongoing list of books he'd like to read so it's always easy to pick something out for him), the new Ben Folds CD for Kirk, the new Black Eyed Peas CD for me, Season 5 of Sopranos on DVD, a few new movies on DVD, pet meds for Grady (much cheaper at pet stores in the US), real Q-tips, and (should I be embarassed to admit this?) the complete first season of Party of Five on DVD. I used to love that show. I watched the first couple episodes last night, and I still like it, but boy, is it cheesy. I had forgotten about that aspect of it.

Poor Kirk. After reviewing our credit card bill last night he may never allow me to take a 3 week trip back to the States again!