Thursday, January 19, 2006

What I'm doing in Madrid

I really like Madrid. I can't say exactly what it is, but I really enjoy the atmosphere and the energy of the city. I also LOVE listening to people speak Spanish. I love the Spanish they speak here which sounds totally different than the Spanish I was used to hearing in DC.

Those who live here might be complaining about the "cool" temperatures, but after leaving an ice storm the morning we left Basel, I'm thrilled with sunny temperatures in the 50s! This is a repeat visit for me, as I spent several days here in September 2004 while Kirk had a week of meetings back then. Because I saw a lot of the big sights here during our last visit (eg. all the big museums), I'm spending this trip soaking in the city by walking and shopping. Or should I say window shopping, since I really can't justify buying any clothes right now unless they're "premama" clothes (that's what they call maternity clothes-- is that cute or what?). I've also expanded my virtually nonexistent Spanish vocubulary by learning the word "rebajas", which means sale. Rebajas signs are plastered in every store window. Similar to Basel, it's sale season, which unlike the weekly sales at the department stores in the US, sales here (in Europe) come only twice a year. By the way, I finally gave in yesterday and bought a bunch of premama clothes at H & M. I can't fight it much longer. And clothes are sure to be cheaper here than in Basel.

The sun is shining, Kirk has left for his day of meetings, and I'm getting hungry so I guess it's time to go downstairs for a good breakfast of tortilla and manchego cheese before heading out for another day of walking and window shopping. I'm living quite a spoiled life, and I love it!