Thursday, March 16, 2006

Episode 371, in which Gretchen saves the day

I'm a creature of habit, especially in the morning when my brain is only working at half-speed. The problem is, the slightest disruption in my routine can throw me completely out of whack. On a normal morning, I putter around the house getting ready while Gretchen talks to me and I grunt in response. The less thinking on my part, the better.

My mistake this morning, then, was thinking. Stopping to ponder the simple question of whether or not I should take the car to work or walk instead was enough to completely mess me up. I actually thought everything was fine until I got to work and realised I'd forgotten my ID--no problem, I can get a temporary one. But in searching my pockets for my ID I realised I literally forgot everything that I usually carry in my pockets (and I'm normally a walking tote bag).

So Gretchen, despite being in a hurry and having morning appointments, actually took pity on me and drove down to give me my ID...my wallet...my keys...my mobile phone...my after-coffee breath mints...and even the wad of kleenex I keep in my pocket (c'mon, I've got allergies!). So she gets a HUGE thumbs-up for saving me from my own idiocy. As a matter of fact, to thank her I think maybe I'll take her to Thailand this weekend...