Sunday, March 12, 2006

Found: A glider!

You may recall that we desparately want to find a glider/rocking chair before baby arrives. If you walk into Babies R Us or any baby superstore in the US you'll find literally dozens of different models. For some reason, they seem few and far between in Europe. A few weeks ago, I asked around at the moms group I met with in Basel. One woman told me you could buy them at the Baby One store near Freiburg (Germany). So that's where we went yesterday. The store was actually in a small town north of Freiburg called Gundelfingen. Success! They had gliders! Granted, they only had two models to choose from, but all we need is one and we'll be happy. We still want to check at a couple different baby stores in France before making the purchse, but I suspect we'll be back to Gundelfingen soon. I wonder if Kirk will ever let me sit in it...

I'll be looking forward to that trip back to Gundelfingen because we also found an excellent German restaurant in the center of town. Considering we had plans to go out for a big dinner last night, I had thought we would just pick up a light lunch before driving back to Basel. But I couldn't resist the lure of all the German comfort food on Charivari's menu! I ordered sauerbraten, which was always one of my favorite German dishes that both my Mom and Oma used to make. They served it with dumplings made the way my Dad used to make them-- sliced and sauteed in a bit of butter. It was all SO good.

On a totally unrelated note, I'm pretty sure that a former contestant from Deutschland Sucht Den Superstar (the German version of American Idol) was eating lunch at the restaurant with his family. I remember hearing that he was from some town in Baden-Wurrtemberg (southwest Germany), so it is possible. I suppose it's a bit frightening that I could identify all the singers from that show, but that's a different story.

A glider and sauerbraten-- I'd say that made for a successful trip to Gundelfingen!