Tuesday, April 25, 2006

It's cow time

Anyone who reads this blog regularly knows that I'm a huge animal lover. More specifically, I go absolutely crazy for Swiss cows! Well, it's finally springtime in Switzerland which means one very important thing... the cows can finally come out to graze! As we drove down toward the mountains this past weekend, it was evident that the cows were getting ready to come out. The fragrant smell of cow manure was EVERYWHERE, as if the farmers were opening the barns to start to air them out. Can you imagine how bad they would stink after being closed up and full of stinky cows for a whole winter? In the lower elevations, especially around the lakes, we saw plenty of cows that were enjoying their first few bites of spring grass. Unfortunately, it was still too early for the cows who live in the mountains. They may have to wait another month or two until all the snow is gone.

Here in Basel, I had my first cow sighting of the year yesterday as I drove home from the grocery store with my friend Liz. Thankfully, Liz had her camera with her once again, and I decided to pull over on the side of the road for a few photos despite the risk of being rear-ended (Liz is also a fellow cow-lover). It was a busy road, mind you, and I'm sure all the cars behind me were wondering why on earth we were pulled over just to admire some Basel cows. Anyway, here's what we saw! Even a baby feedding! And remember, in my world, ALL cows are dairy cows.



"Why are you taking my picture?"