Thursday, April 06, 2006

Finally!

For years now, Kirk and I have been trying to get a picture of a very special landmark in our neighborhood. OK, it couldn't be "for years", considering we've only lived here for 2 years, but it seems like forever since we first spotted it! The problem is that we see it only rarely, and at those momemts we never seem to have the camera in the car when passing by. But, lo and behold, today it was spotted, as I drove with a friend on a neighborhood sightseeing and grocery store tour (Liz is new to Basel and needed to be introduced to Gartenstadt, which is where I do most of my shopping). Thankfully, Liz had a camera with her because I had mentioned we might drive into the hills and take a look at some old castle ruins. Thankfully, as well, Liz was not shy about jumping out of the car and snapping a very priceless photo of our treasured neighborhood PUSSY WAGON! Here it is-- at long last!



Let's be clear about this, I don't know exactly what this van is all about, I don't know why it's called that, and I don't know who lives there. But, as much as I hate the dreaded "P" word, a sighting of the wagon always makes me smile!

(By the way, the tour got even better as we drove up to see the castle ruins above Arlesheim and then stopped in for coffee and cake at the Schlosshof Dornach , one of our favorite summer-restaurants-with-a-view. Now we know that it's also good in the other-than-summer-months for Apfelwähe and Zwetschgenwähe and Heisse Schokolade!)