Monday, May 08, 2006

Giving thanks

We've often said that one of the hardest things about living abroad is being far away from friends. Returning to our friends next year gives us something to look forward to knowing that leaving Basel (and our transition back to DC) will be hard. While we can never replace the great group of friends we have at home (nor would we want to) I feel so fortunate that during our two (plus) years in Basel, we've made an incredible group of new friends. I was reminded of this yesterday as a group of my girlfriends threw me a baby shower. It was a beautiful party, with lots of laughs and good conversation, yummy food (many of my friends are good cooks!), and lovely gifts for baby. (By the way, as we haven't decided on a name yet, we have chosen to call baby "Baby" for now. It suits her well.) It was quite a surreal event, this baby shower. I've been to so many baby showers in the past, but this one was for me! Anyone who knows me knows that I never mind being the center of attention, but even I felt a bit strange going over to the party, knowing it was all about me (or all about baby, actually...). But like I said, it was a beautiful party, and as I looked around the room at so many great friends who were there to celebrate the upcoming arrival of baby I felt totally blessed.

I know that a million pictures were taken, but none of them are in my possession yet, so I'll post a few once they're emailed to me so that you all can see an updated photo of the big belly. 33 weeks and counting! And growing!