Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Packing heat

My visit to Minneapolis was relatively uneventful since I didn't have free time to do much (other than have an excellent dinner at the 112 Eatery). I had been there once or twice before, and my impression remains that it's probably one of those cities that's much more interesting to live in (if you don't mind bitterly cold winters, which I do) than to visit...and I suspect that Gretchen, who went to school there, would probably agree. Anyway, while walking to dinner, I passed a bar that had a big sign on the door saying that guns were not allowed. I figured it was just meant to be part of the ambience, but then I noticed restaurants, stores and other places, all with signs saying that guns were verboten. I never really imagined Minneapolis as a place where a lot of people are carrying weapons, but there you go. My hotel was about a block from the Orchestra Hall, and you should be forewarned that if you're planning a visit to Minneapolis and are thinking about catching a performance there, you would be well advised to leave your firearm at home: