Sunday, August 17, 2008

A week at the beach

It's a good thing I have this one photo of Madchen on the beach...



...because it's literally the ONLY time she was on the beach! Well, I guess I carried her down to see the ocean a few other times, but this definitely was the one and only time she actually put her feet on the sand. I purposefully took the picture at a distance, because she was frozen in that spot. I had to set her down so that I could help my friends take the rest of our haul (towels, sand toys, sunscreen, snacks) down to the waterfront. And she didn't move from that spot. Instead, she screamed: "Carry you!" (meaning "carry me!") until I picked her up again. We stayed at the waterfront on that first morning of our week at the beach a total of about 15 minutes. She pretty much complained the whole time about it being "too windy", "too sandy", "too hot"... and she wouldn't even sit on the beach blanket unless I held her in my lap. So I gave up, packed up, left our friends on the beach, and hung out inside until they all came in for lunch. Some people just aren't made for the beach.

Other than that, our week at the beach was wonderful. It just wasn't really "at the beach". We found lots of other fun activities, and, if nothing else, the kids just played together. I don't know if you can imagine a house full of 4 moms (who are very good friends) and 4 2-year olds (who are very good friends until they have to share), but it was CHAOS! Despite a major lack of sleep and a tortuous drive out there last Monday, it was so much fun and I would love to do it all over again (after a few weeks of rest). Of course, the best part of each day was hanging out with my friends after all the little ones were in bed.

When I first moved back here in March 2007, I went through a period of feeling very isolated and lonely as a ex-expat who had just become an American stay-at-home-Mom. Now, a year later, I feel blessed to have found such a great group of women-- who have such a great group of kids!