Monday, December 13, 2004

Eternal sunshine

Saw a movie on the plane over to DC that's still sticking with me: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which was just nominated for a Golden Globe award for musical or comedy. This story describes it as a "whimsical romance", which is really misleading. That makes it sound like an airy chick flick, but it's actually a fascinating exploration of the power of memory. Parts of it are quite funny, but I found the tone overall to be rather melancholy. Jim Carrey--who I don't usually care for--and Kate Winslet are brilliant. You probably have to be in the right mood because it's fairly thought-provoking, the storyline isn't especially linear, and the tone and style are rather distinctive (it's written by Charlie Kaufman, who also wrote Adaptation and Being John Malkovich). I feel like I need to see it again in the comfort of home instead of on a seven-inch airplane screen.