Friday, May 27, 2005

That's not a boogie board

For some reason I'm fascinated with this case of the Austrialian woman who was just sentenced to 20 years in prison for smuggling 4.1 kgs of marijuana into Indonesia. I guess it was found in her boogie board bag and she alleges that it must have been place there by baggage handlers. Beyond that, I don't know enough about the facts of the case, or her background, to even have an opinion on whether I think she is guilty or not, but she certainly looks so normal. I realize that's an incredibly naive thing to say, but it's true. But really, think about it. What if something like this could really happen to you. What if someone placed something in your luggage, and what if you were actually convicted of smuggling it even if you were innocent. Can you imagine the horror?

P.S. I realize this woman has a name, but I chose not to write it here because I don't want random googlers to find our blog just because they did a search for her name.