Friday, June 10, 2005

I can't see

I'm not sure how I'm even able to write this right now. My eyes are such a disaster. I just got back from visiting the Augenarzt (opthamologist) and my pupils feel like they're as big as pizzas. I had originally seen the doctor 2 weeks ago when I was right in the midst of suffering from eyes of fire. Side note-- although my allergies are still lingering in my sinuses, I'm happy to report that my eyes are better and I've even been able to wear my contacts most of this week. Today I went back to the Augenarzt as a follow-up. He said he wanted to check my retina and all other parts of my eye to be sure the allergies didn't cause any damage. What I didn't realize was that he was going to dilate my pupils. I haven't had that done in years, and I totally forgot how messed up it makes you feel! I had planned to stop by Coop to do my weekend shopping after my doctor's appointment (his office is just a block down the street from my local Coop) and I wonder how many people were looking at me funny in the store as I struggled to read the packages of things I was buying. I'd hold something up to make sure I was buying the right thing and I couldn't even focus. Walking home from the tram stop in bright sunshine was even worse. I've walked the route so many times that I could probably walk it with my eyes closed, which is sort of what I did. I'm surprised I didn't run into anything! I just hope they clear up within the next hour so I'm able to drive to the airport to pick up Kirk. The good news is that my eyes look healthy and I shouldn't need another exam for a couple years. I'm so glad that's over!