Sunday, June 12, 2005

Kirschen und Erdbeeren

Would it be wrong to eat just cherries and strawberries for dinner? Kirk is out of town, so I won't be cooking, and I now have in my possession very fresh cherries and strawberries that are so delicious that they almost taste fake. Ironically, they're probably the most natural, freshest fruit I've ever eaten considering they were grown in Switzerland and just picked today! 'Tis the season for both of these yummy fruits in Basel. Kirk had told me about it last year, but I unfortunately missed it because I was in Wisconsin for the summer. This afternoon, I drove just a couple miles out of town and found many farms along the side of the road with signs saying "Frische Kirschen", meaning fresh cherries. I bought a carton of them (1 kg for 6 CHF), and couldn't stop eating them as I drove home! Then I walked up to the field near our house where they have a pick-your-own strawberries market going on every day. It was so busy, and it's late in the day on a Sunday so I thought there might not be many berries left, but there were still tons of good ones, not to mention still plenty of green ones which means I'll be able to go back later in the week for more! Here's a picture of the strawberry field up the street from our house.