Tuesday, June 28, 2005

News from Wisconsin

From time to time, I like to use this blog to keep our global readers abreast of all the breaking news coming from my home state of Wisconsin. I especially enjoyed reading this editorial piece from today's Wisconsin State Journal expressing opposition to a proposed fee on ice shanties. For those of you who are Wisconsin illiterate, ice shanties are the little buildings that people put up on frozen lakes during the winter that are used as shelter while ice fishing. Apparently a state legislator has proposed a $34 annual ice shanty fee (similiar to what is done in neighborhing Minnesota) and the editorial staff of the newspaper is concerned that it might hurt tourism. This is why I love Wisconsin.

Considering the current heat wave in Basel I would give anything to be on a frozen lake today. Just looking at these pictures I feel cooler already. Here is a very charming shanty (painted Badger colors) on Lake Mendota in Madison, WI (just down the street from where I grew up).



This picture was taken on Kirk's first (and likely last) walk on a frozen lake. It took me years to convince that it was safe. Months later he found out that my sister broke through a crack on the ice just feet away from where this picture was taken-- on the very next day! That's why I say it was probably his last walk on a frozen lake. Oh well, I was proud of him for trying. Please note the Green Bay Packers shanty in the background.