Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Am I in Basel?

I just saw something that I never would have expected to see in Basel. It was so un-Swiss. I was taking the tram home from a haircut, and there was a man laying on one of the seats, totally passed out. His head was hanging off the seat, face up, with his feet toward the windows. This was at 10:30 in the morning, mind you. At first I thought it was a young guy just sort of joking around and being a bit rebellious (that would be considered rebellious by Swiss standards). But no, he was totally out cold the whole time I was on the tram-- about 15 minutes-- and with no sign of moving even though my tram stop is one of the last on the line. Much to my surprise, other passengers were not doing the usual staring you might expect. I think it must have made everyone uncomfortable because everyone just sort of walked by and tried to sit far away from him. It's much more typical to see people passed out on subways in a big city, but I certainly have never seen anything like it in Basel. How weird.