Thursday, July 14, 2005

Lard

Having grown up in a state heavily influenced by both German and Polish immigrants, much of the food here in Krakow is not that different that what I used to see in Wisconsin. One thing I ate the other day is something I had never heard of before. It's called lard. And it really is just fat. They serve it with bread while you wait for your meal to be served. It comes in a little dish and you spread it on the bread and then sprinkle salt on top. It wasn't as disgusting as it sounds, but I'm not sure I would eat it again. One piece was enough for me. I think that provided a full days worth of calories for an average person. I'm also not sure about the crunchy bits in the lard... I suppose they're something like bacon bits, but not really.

While I'm writing a post, I'll just mention that I'm having a great week in Poland and I definitely recommend it to all. It's a beautiful city with a great atmosphere and the people have so much spirit. As I learn more about the history of this country it seems that it was always being invaded or controlled by someone else, yet the people are so proud and optimistic about life.