Sunday, July 17, 2005

Travel fun

The good: We only had a half-hour layover scheduled in Munich to catch our connecting return flight to Basel. It was tight enough that we were scheduled to arrive in Munich at 6:35pm and board our flight...at 6:35pm. So we figured we'd have a tough time making our flight in the best of circumstances. Then, when storms resulted in a 20-minute delay, we were resigned to either catching a later flight or spending the night in Munich (not the worst thing in the world, mind you). So imagine our surprise when we got off the flight and Lufthansa had a van waiting to take us directly to our plane. Not only that, but they jotted down our luggage info and told us our luggage should make it (which it did). Very impressive.

The bad: Krakow Airport. A relic of the former communist era in every way. Perhaps the most unappealing airport I've ever seen (surpassing even Vanuatu and Vilnius).

The ugly: On the flight from Munich to Krakow, they were doing cabin service and the flight attendant dumped a bunch of tomato juice down my pant leg. She tried to help clean it and ultimately gave me a voucher to get them cleaned, but she never really even apologised. Hey, I'll be the first to accept that accidents happen since I'm usually clumsy (a part of me was relieved that for once there was a spill that wasn't my fault, unlike later in the week when I cut into a chicken breast that promptly shot out a jet of garlic butter and paprika onto a brand-new shirt and one of my favorite pairs of pants), and I didn't get upset at her or anything, but still...