Thursday, July 21, 2005

It's a small world

Last night I had a mini college reunion. We had dinner with our soon-to-be-Basel friends Shelly and Jon. Shelly and I were in the same sorority back at the University of Minnesota, but she's two years older than me so I never knew her that well. We have a mutual friend, however, who got us re-connected after all these years upon hearing of Shelly and Jon's relocation to Basel. It's funny how you can see someone after not being in touch (or even thinking about each other, really) for 15 years and just pick up where you left off. I suppose it's not that way with everyone, but it was almost like we were long lost friends reuniting again last night. I'm really looking forward to welcoming some new friends to Basel. So many people took me under their wings when I arrived here last year and I hope to be able to do the same. After all, who else is going to help them understand the most important rules about living in Switzerland? I told them last night about a few things they need to know right away. #1: Always yield to trams. Pedestrians always have right of way, unless a tram is involved. #2: Only throw out trash in official Basel-Stadt trash bags which can be purchased at a special counter at most grocery stores. #3: When buying produce, you have to weigh it on the scales in the produce section and get the price sticker before taking it to the cash register. Maybe I should write a book of helpful tips for Basel expats after leaving here next year.