Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Zwiebeln und Kartoffeln

I'm such a sucker. There's no way I can ever refuse the people who come door to door selling their fresh produce. The most common these days is a man selling raspberries, which are amazing-- fresh and delicious. Then there was that one time I bought way too many apples. This afternoon, someone rang our bell. When I answered the door, an old Swiss lately rattled off something in Swiss German, which I absolutely didn't understand, but figured she was selling something because I saw neighbors gathered around a big farm truck that was parked on the street. So I did my usual "I'm sorry, I only speak a little German", and "Was haben Sie?" (meaning what do you have). She responded very clearly and enthusiastically: "Zwiebeln und Kartoffeln!" I do love onions and potatoes, so I figured why not. At least I talked her out of the 10 kilo crate of potatoes and opted for the 5 kilo bag instead. I think that's a bit more reasonable for me. She kept saying (in English): "Look, look, they are very nice". And they are. The nice thing about Kirk not being here for dinner is that I can cook anything I want! So I will be having Zweibeln und Kartoffeln for dinner tonight.