Monday, September 05, 2005

Back to school

All the kids in Basel have gone back to school. All the kids in the US have gone back to school (at least those I know). Now it's my turn. After a wonderful Sommerpause, I have my first German lesson in 2 months this morning. Over the summer, our teacher had suggested that we get caught up in our workbook, which meant both of us (me and my friend/German partner Sabrina) had several chapters of work to do. And we had 2 months to do it. But, just like typical students, we both waited until this past weekend to get started! We had a "study date" over lunch on Friday to try and get started, but of course we chatted more than we studied. Needless to say, I spent much of yesterday doing German exercises in my workbook. Regardless of how little studying we do, our German teacher seems to love us and always tells us we're her best students. She often talks of how she wants me to continue my German lessons and get "certified" (whatever that means) after returning to DC. How do I explain... so sorry, but German language skills will likely not improve my job prospects upon returning to Washington. Today will be our first lesson since learning that Kirk's contract was extended and we're staying another year. Before she gets all worked up about how I can keep taking German for another year, etc., we're going to propose to her that we switch to just one morning a week (rather than 2). That should help decrease the rate of burnout on my part. Perhaps I'll look into joining a conversation group as well if I feel one lesson a week isn't enough.