Thursday, September 22, 2005

Pork chops

My Mom used to make these really good breaded pork chops. She learned how to make them from Oma, my Dad's Mom, who was a really good cook (especially when it came to German food). I always think of breaded pork chops (with potatoes and sauerkraut) as good comfort food. I bought a couple pork chops this afternoon because Manor had them on Angebot (sale) and they looked good. The problem is that I haven't made breaded pork chops in quite a while, and I can't remember exactly how my Mom used to make them. And, of course, I can't call her like I used to do everytime I had a cooking question. (Side story: She always loved my cooking question phone calls and used to tell her friends that I would call and ask things like "Mom, how long do I bake a potato?" Just for the record, I never had to ask that one.)

The point is this. If your parents-- or other family members-- have a favorite recipe or way of cooking something that you really love, write it down now! Don't wait until it's too late. You just never know when you want to eat breaded pork chops.