Monday, October 03, 2005

All about cranberries



How much do you know about cranberries? I think I can proudly say that I know more than the average American about cranberries. First of all, it's important to know that Wisconsin is the #1 cranberry producer in the US (followed closely by Massachusetts). For a few summers during my college years I worked at a place in northern Wisconsin that makes wine from cranberries. I'm serious. I know it sounds crazy, but their specialty is cranberry wine. Part of the tour we gave of the winery included a short video of the harvest during which we had to wow the crowds of visitors with lots of fun facts of the cranberries that were growing in the area. It's harvest time in northern Wisconsin and this picture was in the local paper last week. Aren't they gorgeous?