Thursday, October 20, 2005

It's a fine line

I really shouldn't complain because I have a decent-sized office of my own with lots of windows at work. This is a complete novelty coming from the States. (I don't know if this is true, but someone was telling me that there is a law in the European Union that in the workplace, everyone's desk must have access to natural light...if that were the case back home, almost everyone on my floor would have been working illegally.) Anyway, I'm supposedly able to control the temperature in my office. The problem is, there doesn't seem to be any kind of middle ground. Yesterday I came in and it was freezing, so I moved the temperature dial 0.0000001 millimeters in the warmer direction. Within the hour, I was ready to start building sauna benches along the walls. So I turned it back down again ever so slightly, then the same thing happened again today: the ambience has gone directly from wine-cellar-chilly to August-in-Washington-stifling and back again...