Thursday, October 13, 2005

Organ donation

There was a great article in the Washington Post a few days ago about the connection between two families-- one who is grieving the loss of their son, and the other family living with new hope because of a liver transplant. I'm always inspired by stories like this. My Dad received a kidney transplant in 2002 and I will forever be a huge proponent of organ donation. Unfortunately, too many people, like my Dad, have to wait for years for a matching organ to become available. Sometimes it comes too late, as may have been the case for my Dad. He had been on a waiting list for 2 years and had been on at-home dialysis for a year and a half before he received his kidney. I think his body was just too sick and tired by the time he got it. He was one of a very small percentage of kidney transplant recipients that never fully recover. He died just 4 months later from a bad infection. Nonetheless, I'm thankful for the hope it gave him and the rest of our family.