Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Observations from a day of travel

--As we were taxiing to take off from Frankfurt, a slightly demented (literally) passenger who only spoke Russian started acting up, so we had to pull off the runway and wait until they could take him and his luggage off the plane. A hassle, to be sure, but everyone seemed to take it with good humor and the crew was very apologetic so it really wasn't that bad. I'm just trying to imagine how people would have reacted if it were a New York-to-Washington flight; it probably would have been open warfare between the passengers and flight crew.

--At one point the woman sitting next to me woke up, grabbed my glass of water and drank the rest of it. I was so stunned I didn't even say anything. I thought about saying something like "don't worry, my cold sores aren't contagious" but thought better of it.

--One of the flight attendants had the last name Kalbfleisch, which literally means "calf meat" (i.e., veal). Maybe that's not funny if you're not exposed to German on a regular basis, but since we see it on every menu here it made me chuckle, and my German colleagues agreed that it was a funny name.

--I HATE HATE HATE when they show bad movies on the westbound flight. I always try to stay awake for as much of the westbound flight as possible, and good movies are a key element of that (the eastbound flight is a red-eye, so I actually hope they don't have good movies because I want to try to sleep). I watched one pretty interesting movie, "Crash", about racial conflict in L.A. It was a bit overwrought at times, but had a top-notch cast, tried to play with stereotypes, and was beautifully filmed, so I give it a thumbs-up. But the only other options after that? "Bewitched" and "Herbie: Fully Loaded". Ugh.