Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Old Fashioneds and Wisconsin

"Supper clubs with relish trays. Cheeses from rural factories. Sliced summer sausage. Friday fish fries. Grilled wursts. All shape Wisconsin's identity."

I got a kick out of learning that a new restaurant is opening in my hometown of Madison called The Old Fashioned. It sounds like a definite winner and I look forward to going someday. The owners are hoping to put a gourmet spin on all traditional foods that make Wisconsin taste good. They will have a bunch of different varieties of the classic Wisconsin cocktail after which it's named. My Dad was famous for his Old Fashioneds. Any of our friends who came to the party at my parents' house the night before our wedding remember the pitchers he made (or maybe they don't remember considering how many Old Fashioneds everyone drank that night). They'll also offer the tradional weekend specials in Wisconsin: Friday night fish fry, Saturday night prime rib, and broasted chicken on Sundays. You may laugh, but I bet it'll be good (and very popular)!