Friday, January 06, 2006

Wellness

After living in Basel for almost two years, I finally joined a real gym this morning! Up until now, I've used the tiny gym in the basement of one of Kirk's office building. It's free (I think) for employees and their families, and it's quite nice, but it's literally just a room 4 levels below street level (ugh) with a bunch of machines. Sometimes it ends up being more of a social engagement for us spouses who are only allowed to use the gym during very restricted hours (whenever actual employees would be least likely to use the facilities). I've had enough of using that gym, especially knowing that now, perhaps more than ever, it's especially important that I try to keep myself healthy and active in preparation for the arrival of the little one in June. I'm hoping that nice facilities (even a pool!), with unrestricted hours (even weekends!) will help keep me motivated. As an added bonus, I suspect I will run into The Big Finn from time to time since he also frequents this gym. See you there, TBF!

By the way, unless you live in Switzerland, you probably wouldn't get the use of the word "wellness" in the title of this post. I think it's a uniquely Swiss word that's often used to describe exercise, swimming and sauna facilities, and overall well-being. They're very into wellness here.