Thursday, February 02, 2006

Back from Haarlem

I had a fun day trip out to Haarlem. It's actually only about 15 minutes from Amsterdam by train, so it's a really quick and easy day trip! I mainly planned a visit to Haarlem because I needed to go back to my favorite little shop and buy more beads, similar to those I bought there last fall. The really funny thing is that the woman (the storeowner) remembered me! What she actually remembered was my story about how I raced and ran (literally) out to Haarlem from the Amsterdam airport during a layover between Oslo and Basel. When I first discovered this store and saw all the fun beads hanging in the window, it was a Sunday and they were closed. We were staying in Haarlem at the time. They were also closed the next morning, and we were leaving for our vacation in Norway that afternoon! I knew that if I wanted to buy those beads my only chance would be the following week during my 4 hour layover in Amsterdam! I was determined, and I made it. I guess it was an impressive effort, because she recalled the story right away. Today I was much less rushed and could peruse the beads to my hearts content. I walked out of there with 3 new necklaces and a bracelet for myself, plus a necklace for a gift, all for a total of less than 50 Euro. That's my kind of jewelry!

Afterward, I treated myself to some fabulous vlaamse frites (the Dutch version of french fries) served in a paper cone with a heap of mayo on top. Yum. I spent the rest of my visit shopping (primarily window shopping, as usual) on the main pedestrian shopping street in Haarlem. I did buy a few baby things at Prenatal (I couldn't resist), a new pair of red boots (there are SO many boots here and they're all on sale!), and a couple tops that could double as maternity wear. Before catching the train back to Amsterdam, I stopped in a cafe and enjoyed another Dutch treat-- pannekoeken, Dutch pancakes (I choose the ones with apples). Yum again.

My other proud Amsterdam purchase (from yesterday, actually) is a very hip diaper bag. Have you ever noticed how awful traditional diaper bags in the US can be? I suppose there have been some improvements and lots of brands are coming out with better styles, but I absolutely refuse to carry some pastel-colored, puffy/quilted bag around that's decorated wiith little bunnies or something. I bought this bag at a Claire V store in De Negen Straatejes neighborhood that I originally stopped in because I noticed their beautiful (and inexpensive) purses in the window. I came out with a diaper bag instead, which these days is probably much more practical!"

Fortunately, Kirk does not have a work dinner tonight, so we'll actually get to go out together! Isn't it nice of him to take me along on his work trips so I can spend his hard-earned money? Don't think I don't appreciate every minute of it!