Friday, January 27, 2006

Headed to the mountains!

I'm very excited about this weekend. Tomorrow morning we're heading down to the charming Swiss village of Wengen for what will be my only opportunity for skiing this winter! My love for skiing was rejuvenated last year with 3 ski weekends (Zermatt, Davos, and Verbier), plus a couple of day trips (Engelberg and Sorenberg). But this year, given my pregnancy and our travel schedule (and Kirk's work schedule), we'll have just one winter weekend in the mountains. We went to Wengen for a weekend last summer and just loved it, and although we weren't able to get into the same hotel we stayed in then (that's what we get for planning the trip 2 days in advance...), I'm really looking forward to going back nonetheless.

When I first got pregnant last fall, I read a lot of things that recommended not downhill skiing while pregnant and I thought I was going to have a fit! How could I miss an entire ski season during our short 3 years of living here in the land of the Alps?! Fortunately, since then, I've learned that you don't necessarily need to take all the pregnancy advice you read. More importantly, I've talked to several people who've skied (even snowboarded!) while pregnant, and my doctor said it's absolutely fine, so long as I feel comfortable with it. That being said, I know I won't feel like it as I get much bigger, which is why we're squeezing in a quick trip this weekend, depsite Kirk's crazy work demands right now.

I just got back from taking Grady out to the kennel, and we have a big birthday bash to go to tonight, so it's time for me to dig our ski clothes out of the basement and start packing. Just look at these beautiful mountains we'll be seeing this weekend!