Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Istanbul was Constantinople

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople
Now it's Turkish delight on a moonlit night

Every gal in Constantinople
Lives in Istanbul, not Constantinople
So if you’ve a date in Constantinople
She'll be waiting in Istanbul

Ever since I found out I had a meeting in Istanbul, I've had those rather catchy They Might Be Giants lyrics in my head (yet for some reason, despite humming it to myself nonstop for the past couple of months, it wasn't until tonight that I actually considered trying to find it on iTunes...I'm slow like that). Anyway, tonight I have to pack my suitcase for the umpteenth time in recent weeks. Istanbul has actually been one of those cities I've wanted to visit for a while, and I am taking one day after my meeting to sightsee, but all things considered I'm ready for a break after this. On my desk at work I have a pile where I keep all my travel-related documents, and today I was quite pleasantly surprised to discover that for the first time in as long as I can remember, there is literally nothing in the pile after this trip (I'm sure it will change, but right now I don't have anything scheduled until mid-May). So while I certainly won't complain about having the opportunity to see the Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, etc, when I get back on Saturday I will be SO ready for an extended period at home...