Monday, February 13, 2006

You've got to be kidding me...

Grady had another follow-up appointment with his elbow surgeon this morning. Hopefully, this is his last appointment with this guy. As much as I really like the vet, I don't like driving an hour each way to get to the clinic which is just outside Zurich. Six months after his (very expensive) arthroscopic elbow surgery, Grady still limps. I guess that's not surprising considering how severe the ligament damage was at the time of the surgery. Because he now has arthritis in that elbow he will likely always limp. Not that it slows him down, mind you. He still runs and plays and acts like a wild puppy. The vet seemed pleased with his progress as this point, and said there's not much more we can do to improve his condition. You may recall that in the past, he had suggested that Grady lose a few kilos. That's not an easy task for a lab, like all labs, is totally driven by food. Somehow, however, the vet seemed to think he had lost a few pounds (it must be magic), and even commented that Grady has a "very nice shape".

His only other suggestion would be to try and build up his leg muscles. At this point I almost started laughing. I know that some people will go to all lengths to help their pets, and even we would pay for expensive elbow surgery, but as far as I'm concerned Grady's current rehab routine of taking expensive medicine daily and eating special joint food which is only available in vet offices is sufficient. I will not, as he suggested, subject Grady to (get ready for this...) an underwater treadmill!! I'm serious. He said that's what some people do at this point. He was proud to tell me that even his clinic is getting one next week! Can you picture such a thing? Me, driving Grady to weekly therapy sessions during which he walks on an underwater treadmill?! That, my friends, is totally excessive. Sorry, Grady, you'll have to keep on limping.