Thursday, May 18, 2006

Are you ready?

Everyone wants to know... Is the baby's room ready? Do you have your bag packed for the hospital? The answer to both of those questions is, actually, no! OK, so maybe not everyone wants to know, but it seems like I've been hearing these questions a lot in recent days. Understandably so, because I'm sure I've made it a habit to ask the same questions to every other pregnant woman I know once she gets to a certain point in her pregnancy. After all, I'm just getting ready to start my 35th week, and they consider 36 weeks full-term (even though your due date is at 40 weeks). So in other words, what am I waiting for??!!

Now for some explanations. First of all, we don't really even have a "baby's room". We have two bedrooms in this place, which means all the baby stuff will somehow have to fit in the room that is currently used as an office and guest room. We're hoping to have some friends stop by this weekend to help us move furniture around (my ability to do heavy lifting is a bit impaired at this point), making room for the baby furniture (some of which Kirk will have to assemble). So far we have just the glider put together, but that's really the most important anyway, isn't it? I don't really know what else we would need to do to have the baby's room "ready", considering we're not doing the whole decorating with a theme and painting with a border thing. Nothing against all the Mom's out there who've done so, but a whole room done in Winnie the Pooh or something is just not my style, not to mention the fact that we're renting and will be leaving this place is less than a year. For the first few months, the baby will be sleeping in a bassinet that we're borrowing from friends, and really, what else needs to be ready at this point?

Then there's the issue of the bag for the hospital. I suppose I should get organized with this one. I made a list of things I wanted to take quite a while ago, but haven't gone beyond that. I know it's important to take a few things along with you, but seriously, Kirk will be coming back and forth from home and the hospital throughout my stay (5 days is standard in Switzerland, 8 days if it's a c-section), so can't I just ask him to bring things to me as I need them?

I also haven't washed any of the baby clothes yet, another thing that you're supposed to do before you leave for the hospital. Seriously, people, I'm not in denial about all of this! I realize that we're having a baby very soon, and that perhaps I should be a bit more stressed about being prepared, but I'm just not. Somehow I know it'll all come together. At least I bought my first couple packs of diapers the other day... boy, was that weird...