Sunday, May 14, 2006

Frauen Parkplatz

On Thursday, our friend The Big Finn discovered the perks of shopping mit Frauen (with women), and I captured it on camera! After very generously driving me up to Germany to pick up our new glider, I went along with him on his shopping excursion to Ikea. By the way, I accomplished something that day that I didn't think was ever possible. I left Ikea without spending a single penny! I had just been there a couple weeks earlier, so I didn't really need anything new. But still... not spending money at Ikea is sort of like not spending money at Target.

As TBF was looking for a parking spot, I suggested he go to the front row to the Frauen Parkplatz. Yes, that's right, there are a number of parking spots reserved just for women! Sure enough, we found one. And look how proud he was to park there!



These reserved parking spots are quite common around here. We frequently sought them out during our recent driving trip through Bavaria, and often found them at rest areas along the motorway. This is a big bonus as a pregnant woman who often needs to find a bathroom quickly!



I'm wondering why they don't have more of these in the US, especially in shopping mall parking lots which can actually get pretty creepy (especially in the evening). As opposed to the Ikea parking lot in Switzerland which doesn't quite have the same creepy element... Nontheless, I always appreciate a Frauen Parkplatz and will take advantage whenever I can.