Thursday, May 18, 2006

Dump run

Just down the road from our family's cabin in northern Wisconsin is the town dump. So for all the summers we spent up there over the years we never had garbage pickup. That meant whenever we wanted to get rid of garbage we had to take it to the dump. I always thought it was pretty cool that we were so close to the dump, since other people had to drive from miles around to get there. Although I guess it wasn't so cool when they used to burn everything and then the toxic fumes blew our direction. When we were little, my parents would sometimes take us to the dump at dusk to see the bears. OK, that sounds weird. But we weren't the only ones who did it! It was quite a show! Looking back, I realize now that my Dad always loved making a "dump run", because he saw it as a bit of a social event. My Dad actually saw everything as a social event because he undoubtedly ran into someone he knew no matter where he went-- even the dump! He'd come back and have to report to us on everyone he chatted with and what he learned about any news in town. That was my Dad... everyone's friend.

Anyway, I made my very first dump run yesterday, right here in Basel! Thanks to The Big Finn's tip of the week, I just learned a few days ago about a dump not far down the road in Reinach. I was thrilled to find out about this because I couldn't figure out what to do with the junk around the house that doesn't fit into the official Basel garbage bags. It's not like home where you can just put anything out on the curb on trash day! We have so much random junk in our basement, partly because the previous tenants (who we know) left stuff for us in their rush to move out (I suspect), and I've always been too lazy to do anything about it. But now, we're trying to make more room upstairs for baby-related stuff/furniture, which means we have to take somethings downtstairs, which means we need more room in the basement.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the dump. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised... we are in Switzerland, after all, but it was just so orderly and organized. As soon as I pulled up, a nice dump worker told me which bins to put my stuff in (sorted by wood, metal, plastic, etc). I had a few questions for him about some other things I want to bring over (eg. a broken TV), and after having this conversation in very broken German (mine, not his), he asked me if I was German. No, I'm American! I guess he figured if I was speaking German, but not Swiss German, I must be German! Should I take that as a compliment? Once all was unloaded, including old mops, broken lawn chairs, a broken coat tree, etc., he asked that I pay 10 CHF (you have to pay to dispose of garbage in this country), and I was on my way. I was hoping he didn't notice my "BS" license plates as I drove out, as I had seen a big sign that said the dump was only for Reinach residents, which means I should have had "BL" tags on my car, but thankfully he just said goodbye and directed me out. How pleasant and efficient! I'll be sure to return with more junk next Wednesday. In very typical Swiss fashion, the dump is only open 2-5 on Wednesdays and 12-5 on Saturdays. I've heard that it's a zoo over there on Saturdays, so I'll stick to Wednesdays.

In our continuing quest to clear the house of excess junk, I stopped after my dump run at a huge Brockenstube in nearby Muttenz. I guess I would compare a Brockenstube to a Goodwill store. We have some old furniture we need to get rid of, and I had heard that this place not only takes donations, but picks them up in a big truck! Again, what a pleasant experience. I started off asking the woman at the information desk in German if I could donate furniture, but thankfully she switched into English and told me that she would have her Chef (boss) call me tomorrow to schedule a pickup. How easy! Granted, it may not be for two weeks, but regardless, I'm just so glad to have figured out what to do with this stuff.

All in all, I had a successful day of junk removal which was made especially easy by friendly Swiss people. Why was everyone so nice to me? Is it the fact that I look like I'm carrying a basketball in my tummy?