Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I'm no longer ladylike

Not that I ever really considered myself to be especially ladylike, but I at least have always tried to have good manners. This included knowing how to sit properly in front of others. All that seems to change when you're 8 months pregnant. The most comfortable way for me to sit now is like a man. Up straight in a chair, legs spread wide apart. What a sight, huh? I suppose I can feel OK about it because the instructor from our prenatal class advised us not to sit with our legs crossed this late in pregnancy. I guess it's not the best for circulation or something. Frankly, I can't sit ladylike with my legs crossed these days anyway, so that's not a concern for me! As I looked through the pictures from my baby shower on Sunday, I was struck at how un-ladylike I appeared while sitting in a chair to open presents. Here's a good example. Oh well, no one wants to criticize the pregnant one, right?



Speaking of the shower, here's a nice picture of the gang enjoying a delicious brunch.



In all honesty, I was sort of dreading the fact that my friends may decide to play silly shower games. I really don't get into shower games. But there were just a couple activities (other than eating and opening presents!), both of which ended up being fun. Here I am trying on a string for size. Everyone had to cut a piece of string that they thought would fit around the biggest part of my belly. I was thrilled to see that everyone cut pieces that were way too big for me! I fooled them all!



For the other activity (notice how I'm not calling them "games"), everyone had to predict the arrival date of Baby, plus her height and weight upon birth.



I suggested they add a column and guess the name! This was especially fun because we haven't told anyone (other than my sister) our name ideas. We have it narrowed down to a list, but we really haven't made any decisions yet. Here are the names that were suggested by the shower-goers: Camille, Caroline, Emma, Clara, Natalie, Stella, Marianne. and Tara.

In case you're curious about what we're thinking, let me give you a hint... none of these names are currently under consideration...