Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The best package ever

Last week I got a package in the mail from the States. The contents had virtually no monetary value, but were absolutely priceless to me! My very thoughtful friend Nanci sent me two 6-hour video tapes filled with uninterrupted American TV! I have no way of knowing what's on them other than to watch them. She just put the tapes in her VCR, turned on the TV, and hit record. Commercials and all. I'm loving it!

As I've mentioned before, our TV situation sucks. CNN International is the only totally English channel we get on our landlord's satellite. I watch MTV as well, because they show lots of stupid shows in English (with German subtitles), like Date My Mom, My Sweet Sixteen, Pimp My Ride, Dismissed, Room Raiders, and Next. I would probably never watch these shows at home, but here I'll take anything I can get. I also watch MTV and the other music channels here because they actually show a lot of music videos! Believe me, I'm very up on the pop music scene in Europe. Other than that, I've been known to get wrapped up in a few German shows as well, including Wer Wird Millionar? (the German version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire), Deutschland Sucht Den Superstar (the German version of American Idol), and Germany's Next Top Model. But that's about it.

Some of you might say, why don't you turn off the TV and read a book? I often do. But it's a fact-- I like to watch TV sometimes. I like to be entertained, and especially these days when I'm becoming more and more of a homebody. Thankfully we also have quite a good supply of DVDs, and I just borrowed season 1 of Desparate Housewives from a friend, so I should be set for a while. Thanks to Nanci, that is!

This afternoon I watched some reality home improvement show on HGTV that Nanci recorded. A guy wanted a new kitchen in his house, and 3 designers competed to redesign/build his kitchen with a budget of $65,000. I kept thinking that the host of the show looked and sounded really familiar, and I've just now figured it out. He's the guy who hosts The Bachelor/The Bachelorette! Can't wait to see what's next on the tape...