Monday, May 08, 2006

The nesting continues...

Remember that pregnancy nesting instinct that I posted about a few weeks ago? Well, it continues. Today's project: cleaning out kitchen cupboards. It's an ugly job, but it has to be done! It's been a gray, rainy day in Basel, so I figured it was a perfect opportunity to get started on the kitchen. Man, we sure have accumulated a lot of junk over the past 2 years! We are really fortunate to have tons and tons of kitchen storage space-- far more than we have in Arlington-- but more space means one tends to be much less organized. Things get totally lost in the depths of the cupboards. I filled 2 trash bags (Basel bags, not the huge US trash bags) with junk. Expired food, old rags/sponges, food I finally admitted we'll never eat (like totally untasty "Thai" rice that I bought once at Coop--don't try it--it didn't taste anything like Thai rice), and empty storage containers and old cookie tins that are just cluttering up the cupboards. It's quite liberating, really. Not only did I throw stuff out, but I also managed to take everything out of the cupboards and wipe down the insides of the cupboards. They get really dusty, don't they?