Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Just chill

Just as he was for our wedding 7.5 years ago, Kirk is in charge of music for the delivery of our baby. There's a CD player in the delivery rooms at the hospital, and it's been suggested to us by many people that it's not a bad idea to bring along some music. I have no idea what CDs we'll be bringing along, but I know that Kirk has already packed a bunch and I'm looking forward to hearing what he's selected. At this point, I can't even imagine what I might be in the mood for in the delivery room, but I have no doubt that he'll have an option for every one of my changing moods that day.

Last time I went to see Guy, the hair "guy", they were playing really awesome music in his salon. I was there for several hours as I was getting some blond highlights, and, honestly, it was one of the most relaxing days I've had in months. I felt like I was at a spa. There were hardly any other clients in there that afternoon, so the only noise I heard was this fabulous "chill" music, like the type you might hear in the lobby of a W hotel, and all the staff speaking French (which is oh so much more relaxing than listening to a bunch of people speaking Swiss German). Afterward, I asked Guy what music he was playing, thinking it would be perfect background music during my upcoming labor. Because it was loaded through his MP3 player, all he could tell me was that it was two CDs: "Chill House" and "Ibiza Chill". I come to find out that there are literally dozens of editions of these two CDs! I would be willing to spend the money to order them from a music store here in Basel, but I have no idea exactly which ones to order. I figured I would just forget it for now, and wait until I see him again, at which point I can ask him to check at home for me to see exactly which CDs he has.

Fast forward to yesterday... when my husband, who is so good to me, tells me he bought something for me! He picked out 3 "chill" CDs from Media Markt for us to bring along to the hospital. They may not be the exact CDs that Guy was playing, but I love them nonetheless. What a thoughtful guy (Kirk, not Guy, sorry for the confusion).

I'm trying to live the motto "JUST CHILL" these days. I know this baby could come at any moment. It's hard to wait. I'm incredibly uncomfortable much of the time, especially with this recent heat wave. I sleep horribly at night. Virtually everything in my body aches at one point throughout the day. I'm huge, and it sounds like an elephant is walking through our house with every step I take. Most of my maternity clothes (even XL!) hardly fit me anymore, so I've resorted to wearing a muu-muu (actually, it's huge bathing suit coverup that just looks like a tent). But I tell myself... just chill... this little girl will be with us for the rest of our lives, so seriously, what's a few more days?