Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Summer is here

A true sign that summer has arrived in Basel... fresh cherries! I suppose the clear blue skies and temperatures in the 80s would also be a good indication that it's finally summer. Because of this warm weather, and the fact that it's impossible to keep the house cool in the afternoons since no one here has air conditioning, I decided to be brave yesterday and put on my maternity bathing suit and head to the pool. There it was, my big belly filled with our big baby out there for the whole world (or at least for the 20 or so people who were at our pool) to see. I now look like one of those pregnant ladies you see and think "Wow, she looks like she's going to have her baby any minute!"

On the way home from the pool, I decided to take my chances to drive past my favorite "neighborhood" farm that sells cherries during the season. I've been waiting with great anticipation for the first local cherries, and was happy to find some at the Freiburg market on Saturday. They were good, but not perfect. Thankfully, I saw this sign as we approached the farm I like to visit in Biel-Benken.



Later today, after I visit the pool once again, I plan to walk up to the field behind our house where strawberry season has begun! This is always a wonderful time in Basel... sunny skies, long days (there's still light in the sky at 10:00 pm), and fresh fruit grown practically in our backyard.