Friday, June 30, 2006

Lightning strikes

If you had told me the following things about a musical group: (a) they were a Eurovision contestant that (b) comes from Germany and (c) plays country music...well, let's just say I would guess that on a scale of 1-10, they'd probably be a -37. But when their song came on during Eurovision I remember thinking that they were actually pretty good...and not in a bad way (like most contestants), but in a real talent sense. Then I noticed that local pop music radio stations were playing their song, "No no never" (there are no actual country stations that I'm aware of here), and I found myself humming along and tapping my feet. Anyway, the group is called Texas Lightning, and darned if I didn't find myself on iTunes last night buying "No no never" (I dare you to watch the video on their website and tell me it's not a damn catchy tune). Besides, any group that plays country versions of songs by Spinal Tap, Abba, Madonna, AC/DC and Lou Reed can't be all bad. Plus I learned on their website that their lead singer's favorite animal is the wombat, which was a big plus...