Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Toys in the haddock

In non-baby news, today when I came home to walk Grady he started eating something off our lawn, which when I pulled him away turned out to be several large pieces of fish, just baking in the sun. This seemed odd on a number of levels, especially since we don't live anywhere near a body of water (although the other night we had a big frog sitting on our lawn...go figure). I figured maybe someone had tossed it into our yard, although that seemed like a pretty strange thing to do, especially since there are no shortage of places to toss things here where they'll never be found.

Later, I ran into my landlords, with whom we have a rather unique tenant/landlord relationship, and we had the following conversation:

ME: It's very strange, someone seems to have thrown some fish in our yard and I need to go clean it up before Grady eats it.

LANDLORD: Oh, yes. It is haddock. Do you know haddock?

ME: Ummm...yes.

LANDLORD: We put it out for the birds. I'm surprised they haven't eaten it yet.

ME: Well, see, the thing is, I don't think it's so good if Grady eats it.

LANDLORD: Yes, we didn't think about Grady.

(((Long pause)))

ME: Well, I guess I'll go clean it up, then.