Friday, June 09, 2006

One of those guys

The other day I was walking downtown at lunch and passed a guy wearing a t-shirt that said something like "Certified Sex Instructor: First Lesson Free". That of course reminded me of the t-shirts Gretchen saw on her trip to Paris last year, and I was thinking to myself that, thank God, you would certainly never catch me wearing a shirt like that.

Fast forward to that night when I got home from work, reached in a drawer and pulled out this t-shirt:



See, a few years ago I had a meeting in Ottawa. Having a few hours to kill, and figuring the shopping would be closer to home than what we find in Basel, I stopped into a mall where I found a shop that had t-shirts on sale for something like 7 Canadian dollars (which at the time was worth about $1 US...one of the great disappointments of our time is that I can no longer give my Canadian friends a hard time about their weak dollar). I couldn't pass up a deal like that, so I started going through the shelves and came across one that caught my eye because of (a) the reference to Wisconsin; and (b) the big cow. How perfect, I thought--Gretchen will love it! (This was when she was still back in Wisconsin caring for her mother.) It was only when I got back to Basel and looked at it again that I really grasped the whole "Master Breeder" thing (trust me, I can be pretty slow on the uptake when it comes to things like this). Suffice it to say it immediately became one of those shirts that I only wear around the house or, at a maximum, around the block with Grady (I can only imagine what the neighbors think). And, needless to say, the shirt now has a whole new level of meaning for both of us--Gretchen suggested I actually wear it to the hospital for the delivery.