Friday, June 02, 2006

Random acts of kindness

Tuesday morning I went to a casual coffee/chat event with the spouses group organized through Kirk's office. There were only about 15 women there, all of whom I had met before except for one. She was an older, Swiss woman who was very nice and seemed very interested to hear about my pregnancy. We chatted for several minutes, and as we were saying goodbye, she asked me for my name and address. She said she often liked to knit things for babies, and didn't have babies in her family to knit for at the current moment. I thought it seemed a bit strange that she wanted my contact info considering I had only just met her, but certainly there was no harm in giving it to her.

Fast forward to this afternoon, 3 days after I chatted with this woman at the coffee morning. I received a small package in the mail. I didn't recognize the return name or address and couldn't figure out who would be mailing me something from within Basel. If any of my friends had something for me they would most likely just give it to me in person. Imagine my surprise when I opened the package and found two precious little knitted sweaters, one pink and one light green. Enclosed was a note from my new friend, explaining that the sweaters are called "Basler Schlüttli" and wishing me all the best with our new baby.

Really, I am just stunned. And touched. Every so often it is a good thing to be reminded that there are kind people in the world who like to do nice things for people just because they can. I'm certainly reminded of that today.