Friday, June 02, 2006

Bad timing

I know it's just the slightest bit inconvenient for Gretchen to be hauling around extra weight (the doctor today estimated the baby was 3.3 kilos, or about 7 pounds, with three weeks yet to go), having to pee every 15 minutes, not sleeping well, having difficulty fitting into maternity clothes that she's completely sick of wearing, etc. But forget all that--let's talk about me for a minute.

I mean, the timing of this whole pregnancy thing is just NOT as good as it could be. For example, there have been three holidays in the past month that we've not been able to take advantage of (Labour Day, Auffahrt and Whit Monday, which I still don't entirely understand). Instead of driving up to the Alps, taking the train down to Lausanne or Lugano, or flying off someplace where they see the sun for more than three hours a week, we're spending our long weekends assembling furniture (me) and organising baby clothes (Gretchen). On top of that, next week I have to miss a work trip to New York, which would be a golden opportunity to visit family and friends and do some much-needed shopping. It's just not fair, I tell you! Who can I blame (other than myself, that is) for this gross injustice?