Thursday, June 22, 2006

It's good to be bad

So today was the big US-Ghana Weltmeisterschaft match, and while I'm not one to wave the flag or paint my face, I wanted to get into the spirit of things. The only problem is that the match was scheduled at 4:00pm this afternoon. What to do? Well, it seemed appropriate to have an "offsite meeting" around that time. I found a nearby Irish pub that just recently opened, and they were kind enough to tune their main TVs to that match (forcing the few other folks there to move to the other side of the room to watch Italy-Czech Republic...suckers!). Then I got a nice surprise when I sent Gretchen a text message telling her where I was and she just happened to be on a tram nearby at the time so she jumped off and came over and watched it with me. Despite the losing effort, it was kind of fun to play hooky, which I pretty much never do (and I at least limited myself to one beer and still went back to work afterward).

And no, if you told us we would be hanging out in an Irish pub the day before Gretchen's due date we wouldn't believe it either...